Thursday, October 5, 2017

One good day.

Well crap. Alright so I am not perfect, I've had a lot of ups and downs and back and forth in trying to get stronger and fit. I've come a very long way from 300 pounds, but dang it, why can't I keep it together long term? Granted I don't look in the mirror and call myself a stupid fat pig nearly as much anymore, but how hard is to string one day together without mistakes?

The answer to that is... Very Hard. I am an addict. Now of alcohol or drugs or really any of the more interesting stuff, but of food. I love food, I love bad food, and I love stuffing my face until I feel grossly full. It's a not a good thing, but it is a thing I am.

So lately I have been on a keto'ish diet. I don't go full fats and back the protein "whey" down (get it?), because in my endless experimentation with my own body and diet I have found that if I keep my proteins and healthy fats pretty comparable, while keeping my carbs reduced to around a 1/4 of whatever the protein and fats are, I feel the best I can. I have gone full keto, I have gone traditional macro, I have gone with every fad or diet idea out there, but that balance is what my body likes, and to side track for a minute, that's what I think everyone should do eventually. You are not going to fit into any prescribed diet, those baselines are great to get you going in the right direction but they are not tailed to you, your gut, your lifestyle, or your biology. However, figuring out where that balance is takes forever, changes with age, and if you're like me, you're really good at lying to yourself about what your body really needs.

Let me give you an example. I just told you up there^ what works for me. I know it does because I drop fat, I think better and I perform better athletically, and not like I think I perform better, I categorically perform better. I am obsessed with recording times, numbers ect.. and my peak performance is always directly connected to those periods of time where I EAT RIGHT. So I know that, I have the data to prove it, so why on earth would I constantly break that diet to eat crap I don't need and doesn't help me in any way? It tastes good, and I'm weak willed (short answer). Long answer is that I let things creep in. I look into the diets of some of the highest performing athletes in crossfit, and really all high level sports, and I see the kind of carb numbers these people consume. I know logically that what they are doing as "exercise" and what I am doing as "exercise" are very different, but after a few weeks of chicken, veggies, cheese, mct oil, and not a whole lot else my brain starts telling me all kinds of lies. Like, you've been stuck at this weight on deadlift for weeks it's definitely because you don't have enough carbs, its killing your recovery, eat all your daughters pop tarts. SO I DO! WITH FRUSTRATING REGULARITY! So fast forward to one second after I consume 400 calories of cardboard (no i don't feed them that all the time, they're kids calm down), my brain then tells me that hey, you already wrecked everything for the day, eat one.... twelve handfuls of fruity peddles (thats what my daughter calls them), just make sure to do it one at a time and walk back and forth to the kitchen, it wont feel as pitiful that way. SO I DO! It's devastating.

Whenever I talk with people about weight loss, or getting started with exercise everyone picks dates and times, which drives me insane. If you want to get started with anything, start right now, don't make the first of November when you're going to begin, if you want it start right now, today. So it's a bit confusing that when it comes to food I've been able to tell myself the lie that drives me so nuts with other people. Start tomorrow. When I screw up on food I always think that my days ruined, when honestly that moments ruined. I did something stupid put garbage into my body and my performance and well being is going to suffer for it, but if the next thing I do is to correct it, it's not that bad. If however the next thing I do is to convince myself that the days shot and cook two totinos pizzas in the oven (if you microwave a totinos you are a monster, the crust is heaven in the oven, and don't preheat the over you heathen, put it in then turn the oven on to 450 it takes less time, the bottom is nice and crispy and the pizza is delicious, get out of here with your 1100 watt microwave you communist) and eat them both, no matter how delicious, now I have ruined my next several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment