Sunday, September 11, 2011

Quick Thought

Let me start by saying that in no way am I claiming I am/was addicted to food in the same way an alcoholic needs booze, or a drug attic needs a fix, I am however going to use the comparison to try and make clear how I have to go about sticking to my plan. I think it is also worth noting that some people are actually addicted to food in much the same way as the previously mentioned addicts. Moving on.

Food can be very much like a drug. It can trigger the same responses as many drugs, and can get very addictive. The combination in a double cheeseburger for example lights up many of the same areas that are known to be affected in the brain during illegal drug use. I already mentioned the reward system and the feeling you get when you first bite into a particularly delicious and much anticipated treat. It makes you feel good, it makes you feel content, and it is something that is very hard to give up.

For me there is no little bit. There is no gradual diet change. If for some reason for the next few days I couldn’t eat anything but fast food, lets say someone held a gun to my head, that would be the end of this. I’d like to tell you I could do that and just get right back to eating my low calorie meals, but I know I couldn’t. Right now I am having trouble consuming bad food because my body has finally decided to get with the program and start liking the healthier stuff I put in it, but let me re-acclimate to the delicious grease, and tantalizing combo of cheese, hamburger, and a ketchup with slightly more sugar than its store bought cousin, and I would be leaving the world of turkey bacon and lettuce far behind. Shoot I would like to do it right now just reading about the taste extravaganza I am denying myself. So for me falling off the wagon is a very apt description, I would fall off onto a bed of golden brown French fries, and deep fried pastries, and eat my way to heart disease and diabetes, and I cant begin to tell you how often I have to remind myself of that just to keep this little life style change going…

No comments:

Post a Comment